The oldest temple in the Leningrad Region is the Church of St. George the Victorious on Lake Yuksovsky
It is located on the eastern shore of Lake Yuksovsky and is considered the oldest wooden building in the region. According to one legend, while the church was being cut down, fishermen from the lake saw a radiant glow on the shore.
The legend also says that chernorizetsy (monks), who came to the shores of Lake Yuksovsky more than five centuries ago, with a prayer and hopes for God's work, lowered the ax into the lake waters and began to wait to which coast it would hit with waves. This place turned out to be the east coast, where the holy temple appeared.
Some old documents preserved the date, which is considered to be the time of construction of the St. George Church - 1493.
In our days, only the log house has survived from the original construction, which is now located inside large outbuildings made in 1632. In the revolutionary years the church was closed, then abandoned for many years, and in 1971-1972, the specialists of the Leningrad restoration workshop carried out work on the conservation and partial restoration of the monument. Moreover, experts returned the lost porch to the church.
- How to travel in Saint Petersburg without living your home
- Four of the ten best restaurants in the country are in St. Petersburg
- The first Holocaust museum in St. Petersburg
- A scientist from St. Petersburg created the biochronicle of Peter the Great.
- 10 interesting facts about Saint-Petersburg streets