Tavricheskiy Palace is one of the most recognizable sights of St. Petersburg. It served as the residence of famous historical figures, the provisional government and even was the barracks of the cavalry regiment. We remember these and other interesting facts.
From Potemkin to Karamzin: famous inhabitants of the Tavricheskiy Palace
The first owner of the Tavricheskiy Palace was the serene Prince Grigory Potemkin, a favorite of Catherine II. He was Governor-General of Novorossiysk, Azov and Astrakhan provinces, but often came to St. Petersburg. Every time he stopped at the Zimniy Palace in the end it became inconvenient for him, so in 1783 he started the construction of his own Palazzo. After the construction of the Palace, he soon decided to sell it to the Treasury, but in 1791 the mansion returned to its owner: Catherine II gave it to Potemkin as a thank you for taking the Turkish fortress of Ishmael. After the death of Potemkin, when Tauride was again bought by Catherine, in the Palace for some time lived commander Alexander Suvorov. Another famous resident of the Palace was the historian Nikolai Karamzin, who spent the last days of his life in Tauride.
"The art of arguing with the pleasures of nature»
The majestic Palace is the work of architect Ivan Starov, who studied with Potemkin in the gymnasium of Moscow University. Starov built not just a house for the Prince, but a real city estate with a luxurious Park.
The basis of the Palace consists of four main rooms-a Dome hall, a large gallery (Catherine hall), the lobby and the winter garden. At the time of the construction of the Tavricheskiy , its Large gallery was the most spacious Palace building in the Russian capital: the length of the hall was 74.5 meters, width — 14.9 meters. Winter garden with rare plants also impressed contemporaries.
For example, Gabriel Derzhavin wrote about it: "the first step is a long oval hall, or, better to say, the area, five thousand people to accommodate a comfortable, and divided in length in two rows of 36 more pillars. It seems that the gigantic forces are embedded in it all nature. Through these pillars you can see a vast garden and towering on a small space of the building. At first glance, you will doubt and think that this is the action of charm or, at least, painting and optics; but, having started closer, you will see living laurels, Myrtle and other blessed climates of the tree, not growing tokmo, but other flowers, and other fruits burdened. Under the peaceful teniu them. like velvet, spreading turf green; flowers there are a riot, here izluchyste sandy roads run, towering hills, nepuskajut valley, reach the clearing, glittering with glass reservoirs. Spring reigns everywhere, and art argues with the charms of nature. Swims in the spirit of fun."
And still Tavricheskiy : what other names were the Palace
At first, the Palace was called Konnogvardeyskiy home, because it was located in the settlement konnogvardeyskogo regiment, which once served as Potemkin. Its modern name Tavricheskiy Palace received after the death of Potemkin by order of Catherine II. Thus immortalized accession Tavrida (Crimea) in 1787, which could happen largely thanks to the very Potemkin. In 1918, after the murder of the famous revolutionary Moses Uritsky, the Palace was renamed in his honor. But this name did not take root, and soon the historical name Tauric returned.
From the Manege to the cradle of Russian democracy: alternative use of the building
After the death of Potemkin, the Palace was restored by the architect Fyodor Volkov. According to his project, a Church was built on the site of the Great hall and a portico was attached to the main entrance; and he turned the concert hall into a theater. In addition, the entrance to the Palace was dug a canal connecting with the Neva river to Tauride could swim small vessels.
Under Paul I, the building was again reconstructed. After the Emperor gave the Palace to the disposal of the horse guards regiment, in the Catherine Dome and halls were arranged in the arena, and in the other room — the barracks. Stables were organized in the Winter garden.
At the beginning of the XX century the Palace was transferred to the state Duma. After the revolution, Tavrichesky housed the Provisional Committee and the Provisional government, and after it settled Petrograd Soviet of workers ' deputies.
Today the Palace is the headquarters of the inter — parliamentary Assembly of the CIS countries.