In the era of eclectic architects often turned to the architectural heritage of the Italian Renaissance — so there was a style of neo-Renaissance. He was especially popular in St. Petersburg. Read the material of the portal "Guide for you", what Pro-Italian buildings can be admired in the Northern capital.
Small Mikhailovsky Palace ( Malyy Mikhaylovskiy dvorets )
The Palace was built by order of the grandson of Nicholas I — Mikhail Mikhailovich, "Mish-Misha", as his family called him. The small Mikhailovsky Palace became because there was already one Mikhailovsky in St. Petersburg. Requirements for the future construction of the Grand Duke formulated quite simply:"we must have a great house." Architect Maximilian mesmacher did not disappoint his hopes: he built the building in the spirit of neo-Renaissance, decorated with the latest technology.
The Palace was built in 1888 and gas, and electricity, and telephone, and water, and Sewerage. However, to enjoy Mish-Misha his Palace and did not have to — he went abroad, where he married with Pushkin's granddaughter Sophia Merenberg. In Russia, the Grand Duke never returned, and the building later belonged to different departments and companies.
Vladimir Palace (house of scientists) Vladimirskiy dvorets (Dom uchenykh)
This Palace on the Palace embankment ( Dvortsova naberezhnaya ) was built for Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich — the son of Alexander II. The chief architect was Alexander Rezanov, and in the creation of interiors also participated Viktor schröter, Jerome Kitner and Andrew Gong.
The facade of the building is made in the spirit of the Venetian Palazzo with arched Windows and decor in the form of coats of arms. The interiors of the Palace were decorated in several styles — neo-Renaissance, Gothic, Moorish and classical. One of his contemporaries wrote about the Palace:"Despite the variety of styles, not seen at all diversity, the eye does not feel tired; on the contrary, everywhere achieved so complete harmony in colors and shapes, that the whole building has an undoubted right to an honorable place between the best works of art of architecture of our time." In addition, the building was equipped with all amenities, from Elevator and ventilation to telephone and electricity.
Since 1920, it houses the house of scientists. The first time the name was literal: here lived academician Vasily Struve, Director of the Pulkovo Observatory Sergey Belyavsky and other Soviet scientists.
Building of the First Russian insurance company
The building on Bolshaya Morskaya street was built by architect Karl Schultz, and Ludwig Sperer, Leontius and Julius Benois later reconstructed it for the needs of the "Russian fire insurance company". The monumental building was completely covered with different types of stone: from pink granite on the facade to light gray Sandstone decorating the balconies. Until recently, it housed the St. Petersburg College of architecture and construction. Today the building belongs to the Museum "St. Isaac's Cathedral".
Mansion of von Derviz / Palace of Grand Duke Andrei Vladimirovich
Originally, this area was occupied by the British Embassy. At the very end of the XIX century it was radically rebuilt by order of the railway magnate Paul von Derviz. The architect of the luxurious mansion in the Florentine style was Alexander Krasovsky. The interiors of the Palace were to match its external design: stucco decoration, wood carving, stained glass Windows and white marble stairs. When it became difficult for Pavel Derviz to maintain his mansion, he sold it not to anyone, but to the cousin of Emperor Nicholas II-Grand Duke Andrey Vladimirovich. In Soviet times, the building housed the wedding Palace ( Dvorets brakosochetaniya ), which is here today.
Russian commercial and industrial Bank
The building of the Russian commercial and industrial Bank was built in 1914 by architect Marian Peretyatkovich. Sculptural design involved Leopold Dietrich and Vasily Kozlov. The entire facade of the Grand building was decorated with gray granite, and the texture of the lower floors resembled rocks. Stone masks and bas-reliefs served as decoration. Natural stone was also used in interior design: the lobby, the staircase and the main operating room were decorated with rare varieties of marble.
The building of the city Duma
One of the architectural dominants of Nevsky prospect is the tower of the city Duma, which is almost 50 meters high. It was built by order of Paul I in the spirit of the Tuscan Campanile-the bell tower. Initially, the signal tower was built as a functional structure: firemen were constantly on duty inside it, hence the residents of the city were informed about floods. For some time it played another role — it was one of the stations on the optical Telegraph line.
The Zubov Mansion
The Zubov mansion on St. Isaac's square was built in the 1840-ies by count Arseniy Zakrevskiy. The project was created by architect Harald Bosse. Later it was only slightly rebuilt-Karl Schultz replaced the balcony and decorated attic (the plane of the wall above the cornice) family coat of arms of the count. The facade of the building is made in the neo-Renaissance style, and the interiors-in the spirit of classicism and Rococo. The last owner of the house was Valentin Zubov. He founded the first Russian Institute of art history, which is here today.
The Kochubey Mansion
Harald Bosse was the author and located nearby-on Konnogvardeysky Boulevard-the mansion of Mikhail Kochubey. Bosse built the building in the Florentine style, but it was popularly called "house with Moors" (Dom s mavrami
) : the fence of the house was decorated with four busts of Africans dressed in white marble. Despite the fact that the building was built in the middle of the XIX century, there was already water, comfortable bathrooms and more perfect than in ordinary houses, heating system — oven. The interiors were also decorated in Renaissance style, although some rooms were decorated in the spirit of classicism.
Stieglitz mansion on the promenade des Anglais
Alexander Stieglitz in the XIX century was a famous financier. However, he went down in history as the Creator of the Central school of technical drawing, today his name is the St. Petersburg Academy of art and industry. In the 1860s, the architect Alexander Krakau rebuilt for him in the spirit of the Italian Renaissance building on the promenade des Anglais.
Later, the owner of the mansion was Grand Duke Pavel Alexandrovich-the younger son of Alexander II. It is when it is the architect Nikolay Sultanov has built a chapel of Saint Alexandra in the ancient style. However, it has not survived to this day.
Moscow railway station
The Moscow railway station was built in 1851, when the railway connection between the two capitals was established. The author of the building was Konstantin Ton, although other prominent architects of that time — Nikolai Efimov and Alexander Brullov-participated in the competition of projects. Tone decorated the station in the style of the Italian Renaissance town hall - with a two-tiered tower and large Venetian Windows. In the station building, in addition to the main hall, there were offices of employees, railway management and apartments of employees — including the head of the station Nikolai Miklukho-Maklay, the father of the famous traveler.